The main objective of the project is to raise awareness of energy efficiency and energy conservation in the context of climate change and sustainable development, and to demonstrate the practical feasibility of simple energy conservation measures by installing SWHs in selected sites and distributing compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) to the general population. Demonstration and awareness raising in the general population, as well as in the public and private sectors aim to foster a culture of energy savings, where conserving scarce resources becomes second nature in society.
The specific objectives of the proposed project are:
- To raise awareness of the general public of energy efficiency and climate change issues;
- To build the capacity of government and private sector institutions in implementing energy efficiency measures;
- To develop energy labeling materials for electric appliances sold in Cambodia;
- To install compact fluorescent lamps and solar water heaters for energy savings and demonstration; and
- To support the conceptual stages of a carbon offset project for voluntary standards.