KINGDOM OF CAMBODIA
Nation - Religion - King
Council of Ministers - Ministry of Environment
Establishment No. 195
Phnom Penh, 23 June 2003
THE ESTABLISHMENT OF A CLIMATE CHANGE OFFICE THE MINISTER OF ENVIRONMENT
Having seen the Constitution of the Kingdom of Cambodia. Having seen the Royal Decree No. នស-រកត-1198-72 dated 30 November 1998 on the Appointment of the Royal Government of Cambodia.
Having seen the Royal Krom No. នស-រកម-1296-36 dated 24 December 1996 promulgating the Law on Environmental Pretection and Natuaral Resource Management.
Having seen the Royal Krom No. នស-រកម-0196-21 dated 24 January 1996 on the Establishment of the Ministry of Environment.
Having seen Sub-decree No. 57 អនក្រស-បក dated 25 September 1997 on the Organization and Functions of the Ministry of Environment.
Having seen the Royal Krom No. នស-រកម-1296-35 dated 24 December 1996 promulgating the Law on the Retification of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.
Having seen the Letter of the Council of Ministers No. 967 សជណទស dated 28 June 2002 on the Royal Government Decision to Accede to the Kyoto Protocol of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.
Recognizing the urgent needs of the Ministry of Environment DECIDES:
-Article 1: Establish a Climate Change Office within the Department of Planning and Legal Affairs.
-Article 2: The Climate Change Office carries out the following tasks:
- Undertake all the technical activities related to the implementation of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and other climate change-related tasks assigned by the Ministry of Environment;
- Provide information and advice to the Royal Government in preparation of its positions for international negotiations and in establishment of national policies, legal instrument and plans in the field of climate change;
- Identify and assess new technologies, which are appropriate for Cambodia to adapt to the adverse effects of climate change or to mitigate the greenhouse gas emissions in the country;
- Organize training courses, workshops, seminars and meetings related to climate change;
- Liaise with relevant national and international agencies;
- Promote research activities and human capacity building in the field of climate change in Cambodia;
- Develop new climate change-related project proposals for submitting to donor agencies;
- Prepare progress reports to be submitted to the Ministry of Environment and other relevant agencies;
- Promote public awareness & education on climate change;
- Compile, manage and periodically update a database relating to the implementation of the UNFCCC in Cambodia;
- Act as the secretariat of the UNFCCC, the Kyoto Protocol and the Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) Focal Points for Cambodia;
- and Enhance cooperation with relevant governmental agencies, national and international organizations, non-governmental organizations, and local communities to promote the implementation of the national climate change policies.
-Article 3: The Climate Change Office is led by a chief who is responsible for overall management and is supported by one or more vice-chiefs, as required.
-Article 4: The Climate Change Office is authorized to establish a number of administrative and technical units upon the needs.
-Article 5: Any previsions that are country to this Declaration shall be considered null.
-Article 6: The General Director of the Technical General Directorate, the General Director of the General Directorate of Administration and Finance, the Department of Planning and Legal Affairs, and other relevant Departments shall effectively implement this Declaration from the date of this signature. Minister of Environment CC: - The Council of Ministers - Ministry of Economy and Finance - State Secretariat of Public Functions.